Saturday, October 10, 2009

Finally a summer top

Only a season too late but at least it's finally finished!

I made Simplicity 4695, a supposedly simple little shell top. Actually the pattern went together really well but I used the wrong interfacing so the facing around the armholes looked really stiff and felt awkward. Trimming back didn't help so I ended up unpicking it and top stitching around the armhole instead. I think it looks okay now and I'm really happy to have finished the top in time for next summer!

I'd like to make this top again but in a more relaxed fabric (this was a quilting cotton) and I'll lower the armhole slightly as it seems a little snug. I also find the collar too high at the front but maybe the discomfort comes from the stiffness of the quilting cotton. I might try lowering it by just 1cm for the next top.

I don't kow how much time I will have to make clothes from now on (I know I haven't been that brilliant at it anyway!) as I'm just about to start a City & Guilds course in creative textiles. I'm sure that it will take up a lot of my spare time but it should also increase my confidence in my abilities.

No comments: