Saturday, May 16, 2009

Well, as I decided at the beginning of May, I have been making a printed skirt. I chose a batik fabric that's been sitting in my stash for years (probably bought in Sri Lanka in 2005) and a commercial pattern (New Look 6649). It's a nice skirt that went together fairly well and even the zip went in first time but when I tried it on before hemming it - it's a whole size too big for me! I was kind of using the batik fabric as a wearable muslin because it has been sitting in my stash for so long and I hate spending all that time making something that I end up throwing out but I do wish that I had made a proper muslin now. I did use the right size for my measurements and I did try pinning the pattern together and holding it up against me but I must have done something wrong. I always have this trouble with commercial patterns so one day I must regain my confidence with pattern cutting and make my own again.

I think it might be salvageable, though. It has a yoke and 8 panels which flare halfway down - the yoke makes it difficult to take in at the seam between each panel but maybe I can take it in on each side and reduce the size of the side panels. It may look a little uneven but I think it's worth a try. The only trouble is I've got to unpick and re-do my zip that went in so well!

No comments: